House sitting can be a fantastic way to travel to new places, meet new people and pets, and, of course save on rent or accommodation costs while you do so. If you’re interested in getting into the house sitter lifestyle, you’ll find essential information that will help you find house sitting jobs around Wellington, and the rest of New Zealand.
Often when home owners go on holiday, they’ll hire house sitters to care for their pets and belongings while they’re away.
This can include, walking dogs, feeding cats, cleaning chicken coops and all sorts of other tasks to care for animals! As well as this, home owners typically require a house sitter to keep their home in order, making sure that rooms are kept clean, lawns are mowed and so on.
Sometime home owners simply want someone in their property while they’re away so that they can have the comfort of added security, especially if they’re away for long periods of time.
House sitting NZ finds house sitters for home owners to check all of these boxes for them, while making sure that the house sitters are up for the job too.
The best house sitters have experience looking after pets and are responsible.
While this list isn’t exhaustive, some of the tasks that home owners require of house sitters can include:
House sitting can be a lot of fun, as well as a great alternative for staying in regular accommodation likes hotels, or renting a property if you’re intending on staying in the area longer-term. Some of the reasons you might be interested include:
1. Become part of a community of responsible professionals who care for pets and homes like they’re your own
2. Get reduced cost or free accommodation depending on the circumstances. Often house sits last for a few weeks so this is a really good way to save for a property of your own or to travel overseas.
3. Visit tourist destinations all around New Zealand. You’ll have the opportunity to be traveling all of the time!
4. Substantially reduce your cost of living by giving you reduced cost accommodation, free WiFi, water, heat and in some cases food, depending on the agreement with the home owner.
5. You can keep up with friends and relatives in faraway places
6. Stay short-term in locations rather than need to sign a tenancy agreement or commit to anything long-term.
7. Because you love pets, especially cats and dogs. If you love the comfort and company of a pet, then you’ll love house sitting!
8. Get out of your comfort zone and trying something different – it’s an adventure!
Anyone can become a house sitter. What's most important is that you're committed to caring for someone's home and their pets.
To become a house sitter with us, you’ll need to complete an application form, which we’ll follow up with a phone interview. We’ll also conduct a police check, and then ask for a reference.
We’re looking for experienced house sitters, so that we know that our home owners are giving their beloved pets to a safe pair of hands. Most importantly, you’ll be responsible and get along with the home owner. We love to find home owners house sitters just like themselves, so that they can rest assured that their property is being taken care of the same way they would take care of it.
Being passionate about animals is also a big plus, this is the core part of the job, so we want to make sure that you’ll be excited to walk dogs daily or hear birds chirping in the mornings! Experience looking after pets is also mandatory.
At house sitting NZ, we’re able to find you house sits, so that you don’t have to worry about where the next house sit is going to come from. Once you contact us, we’ll get in touch to get to know you a bit better.
We only have a small team of house sitters which is essential for us to be able to ensure that we’re providing the best house sitters for each house sit.
To begin house sitting, simply sign-up on our website and we will be back in touch within 24 hours, alternatively, feel free to read our FAQs section.
We’ve found that having a company to find house sits for you rather than looking for them yourself takes away a lot of the stress of house sitting- and of course enables you to find even more house sits without the competition of other house sitters.
House sitting is an awesome way to mix things up and achieve your goals to save, experience the country or simply do something a little differently for a while!
We’re able to answer any further questions that you have, so feel free to contact us for further information.
With rents and mortgage costs sky high, house sitting is more appealing than ever. if you're a kiwi or traveller looking to save while you stay in New Zealand, whether its Wellington, Auckland or another location, then check out this set of tips to save money house sitting.
Saving for your first-home isn't easy. We've come up with a few helpful ways for you to save, without sacrificing an arm and a leg to do it!